EMWG is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization that provides women and girls skill building, social engagement, HIV prevention, career development, mental support, and other wellness activities.
Why We Are Needed
EMWG was created in response to the ongoing health, educational, and economic disparities faced by women living in the Bronx. “Across the boroughs, the Bronx has the highest poverty rates for single mothers and their children, at 48.4 percent, and higher rates of unemployment than other parts of the city.” In fact, poverty rates in some Bronx neighborhoods exceed 40 percent. Areas where African American and Latino women live have higher poverty rates. Furthermore, the women of the Bronx are heavily affected by HIV and other STD’s which puts their reproductive health at risk.
Who We Serve
EMWG aids teens 13-17 and women ages 18+ who are overcoming stressors in their lives, such as poverty, discrimination, abusive situations, addictions, unstable homes, and academic lives, by providing them with positive supportive services, education, social engagement, and Case Management services.
Empowering the Community of the Bronx
The Bronx is a community in crisis and the time to act to address the health disparities that they encounter is now. There are various Not-for-Profit organizations in the Bronx to address some of these concerns. However, there are few programs in the borough that addresses the specific needs of women and girls. Thus, it is imperative for more programs like, EMWG to exist.
How We Help
- We serve women living in Bronx, NY
- We provide supportive services to women and girls of all ages.
- We address the needs of a sometimes-overlooked population which includes but is not limited to, women of color.
- We assist women in major life transitions such as, divorced, widowed, immigrants, sexual assault survivors or women who are in recovery from drug or alcohol addiction.
- We assist adolescents by giving them direction. For example, we collaborate with colleges and other educational institutions to educate young women about different degree options.
- We connect with outside providers to help women who are interested in starting a business.
Site powered by Weebly. Managed by FreeLogoServices.com